According to the National Fire Protection Association, from 2007 to 2011, an average of 47,820 residential structure fires involved electrical fires. Almost half (48 percent) of home structure electrical fires involved some type of electrical distribution equipment, such as wires, outlets, switches, lights, bulbs, cords or plugs. Electrical fires are not only dangerous, they are preventable.
Electrical fires are very dangerous, and you should do everything possible to prevent them at all costs. This includes hiring an electrician in Madison, WI to check your home's wiring every once in a while to make sure everything is in order. In addition to hiring a professional, there are steps you can take on your own to greatly reduce the risk of an electrical fire.
Over time, an appliance's power cord may wear out or break. Everything seems fine because the appliance is still energized, but you want to replace this power cord as soon as possible. You will need to repair it before you can plug it back in.
When you receive a new device (such as a refrigerator or washing machine), you should receive a manual that tells you how to operate it. This will include information related to inserting it. This is also a good time to register your device, which will allow you to be notified if the device is eventually recalled.
The following tips can help identify potential fire hazards and help prevent an electrical fire in your home or business.
Inspect electrical wiring to prevent electrical fires. Wiring doesn't last forever, so if your home is more than 10 years old, it's a good idea to have your wiring inspected.
If the power cord or your home's electrical wiring is worn, frayed or torn, consider repairing the wiring or replacing it completely to prevent an electrical fire.
As with wiring, plugs can wear and tear. Broken plugs not only pose an electric shock hazard, but they can also spark or overheat, which can lead to an electrical fire.
The circuits in your home can only provide so much power to each outlet at a time. When an outlet is overloaded, you can cause the outlet to spark and possibly start an electrical fire.
Electrical appliances or outlets that come in contact with flammable materials, such as blankets, carpets or cleaning supplies, can start a fire.
Surge protectors help protect appliances and anything else plugged into an outlet from the dangers posed by electrical surges. Surges can increase the amount of power flowing to an outlet and overload it, which can cause the device to spark. A surge protector will help prevent this potential fire hazard.
If an appliance blows a fuse, trips a circuit, or sparks while in use, unplug the appliance immediately and check to see if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
At some point, simply replacing your home's electrical system with a new one can be a good investment. This is especially important if you have just purchased an older home that may not be up to date. Older systems carry a greater risk of overheating, especially when considering all the modern electrical demands of the modern world. In addition, you may also qualify for lower insurance premiums when you update your system.
You should never ignore the signs of electrical problems, as they can lead to electrical fires. Common warning signs include burning smells, burn marks around outlets, and electrical sparks when plugging in equipment. In these cases, you need to contact a residential electrician.
If you are ready to return to work after a workplace accident, excellent electrical tools are your best bet. Knoweasy tools are professional electrician tools that can meet the various needs of electricians when working and effectively improve the efficiency and safety of their work.
Comments will be approved before showing up.